Top page
GIC Information
Notice for all Special Permanent Residents/Mid- and Long-term Residents

Changing your Alien Registration Certificate to a Residence Card


In accordance with the discontinuation of the alien registration system on 9th July 2012, Special Permanent Residents in possession of an Alien Registration Certificate are required to change this for either a Special Permanent Resident Certificate or the new Residence Card by 8th July 2015.

If you have not yet applied for your Residence Card, please do this as soon as possible.


*If you first arrived in Japan after July 2012, you will have already received the new Residence Card and do not need to apply for anything.


For more information, please read the pdf below:


Notice for Permanent Residents.pdf

Or follow this link to guidance from the Immigration Bureau of Japan: